Implementing sales performance management (SPM) is one of the most common ways to track and manage sales reps’ performance. Done right, SPM can help you improve sales productivity, increase revenue, and grow dramatically.
In this article, let’s take a closer look at the basics of SPM and tips for driving sales performance for your business. We’ll also share the best performance management software that helps set your sales team up for success.
What Is Sales Performance?
Sales performance is the performance of your sales team. It refers to how effectively your sales team performs within a specific period of time, for example, monthly and quarterly.
Sales performance can be measured in various ways depending on your industry and business goals. But common metrics often include sales revenue, customer acquisition, and retention rate (more on this later).
By tracking and measuring sales performance, you can monitor your sales reps’ productivity and ensure they consistently hit sales targets.
What Is Sales Performance Management?
Sales performance management (SPM) is a systematic approach to manage sales reps in an organization. It can include a set of activities that go into:
- Clearly defining and communicating sales objectives, targets, and strategies.
- Prescribing roles and sales processes consistent with how a company intends to deliver value to its customers.
- Setting sales performance expectations that are clear, actionable, aligned with business needs, and measurable.
- Applying management discipline (through leadership, programs, processes, and tools) to ensure sales force effort and behavior are directed toward desired business results.
- Incentivizing and motivating sales professionals for top performance.
Sales performance management is often used by sales, human resources, and finance departments. However, it can be implemented across your organization if that helps you maximize sales performance.
Sales performance management provides sales reps with a clear picture of what they need to accomplish, what sales processes they need to follow, and how their performance can impact their overall compensation.
For sales managers, sales performance management is a useful mechanism to develop effective sales strategies, set realistic expectations for their salespeople, and make precise sales analytics.
How to Measure Sales Performance
When you don’t have criteria to evaluate your sales efficiency and effectiveness, you make decisions based on instinct, not facts. This leads to ambiguity and bias when reviewing sales reps’ capabilities.
To avoid such a situation, you should create a data-driven sales performance review with specific measurement metrics. By doing that, you can understand accurately how your sales reps performed over a period and make well-informed judgments on their performance.
Sales Performance Metrics
Sale performance metrics are crucial for an effective SPM process. You should determine what metrics you need to measure your sales performance from the beginning.
Typically, here are three types of sales performance metrics you can use:
- Performance metrics: Think about conversion rates, sales revenue, number of closed deals, number of new leads, and client acquisition rates. These are traditional aspects of sales measurements.
- Operational metrics: Think about sales cycle length, meeting acceptance rates, average cost per lead, and other sales productivity metrics.
- Professional development criteria: Think about how well your sales reps apply what they learn from training courses, how they’re open to opportunities around them, etc.
How to Improve Sales Performance
There isn’t a specific sales performance formula for success because different businesses may need different sales strategies depending on industry, products, and target market.
That said, the following tips to improve your sales performance can be helpful to all sales leaders across the board:
- Make sure your sales team understands what objectives they need to achieve. By clearly communicating your goals, you give your sales reps an opportunity to decide if they can accomplish those goals and voice their concerns. From that, you can also make necessary adjustments if necessary.
- Adopt sales performance management software that helps you automate sales processes, manage sales pipelines, and enhance sales performance (more on this later).
- Provide adequate training and resources. Think about creating a knowledge base where your sales reps can access and learn about product and sales skills at any time. If possible, offer personalized training for each rep depending on their current skills and experience.
- Give performance feedback on a regular basis. You can conduct a performance review meeting with each rep where you can talk to them about how they performed and what they need to do to improve performance. A rule of thumb is to be transparent about their performance and back up your assessment with data.
Sales Performance Management Software
As said earlier, using sales performance management software is a great way to improve sales performance. There are many options out there, but if you’re looking for an all-in-one SPM tool, then try Revenue Grid.
Revenue Grid is a sales engagement, sales automation, and guided selling platform powered by artificial intelligence (AI). It includes a wide variety of sales tools that allow you to automate and integrate sales processes with data-driven insights to improve your sales performance.
Specifically, Revenue Grid helps you:
- Guide your sales team through which actions should be taken and how to close deals effectively. From that, you can build a repeatable and scalable roadmap for your team’s success.
- Track sales pipelines in real-time and manage deals effectively. You’ll receive instant alerts on what deals are at risk and how you can fix them.
- Make accurate sales forecasts and remove the guesswork. You’ll get valuable insights into changes, risks, reasons behind those trends, and how you can capitalize on opportunities.
- Save a significant amount of time and effort with automation. For example, you can create email campaigns and schedule them to be sent automatically at a specific time. You can also use CRM and email integration to synchronize data between all communication channels.
Integrate revenue intelligence into your
business with Revenue Grid
Request a demo
Implement Sales Performance Management for Your Business
Now that you’ve understood everything about sales performance management. Make sure you follow the tips above to create an effective SPM process for your organization.
In case you want to try Revenue Grid, just contact us, and our team will reach out to you with a comprehensive demonstration.