How to Set Up Sync via Impersonation & Configure User Mailboxes¶
MS Exchange/Office 365 Impersonation is used in scenarios when a single admin service account is used to access and manage many end user accounts, to view or adjust their settings or perform various actions on these accounts’ behalf. In RI setup context, Impersonation allows to automatically activate Revenue Inbox synchronization for all relevant email accounts in an Organization in bulk, via an impersonating MS Exchange service account.
While Impersonation requires performing a sequence of configuration steps on Exchange server side by the local Admin (documented in detail in this article), it has the following benefits:
- There is no need for every RI user to enter one’s Exchange/Office 365 mailbox credentials on Revenue Inbox setup. Instead, multiple users’ credentials are set up once, by the local Admin.
- The end users don’t need to go to Revenue Inbox settings and update the access password after mailbox password change.
- Mailbox connectivity is established and monitored entirely by the Admin, removing any associated actions from the end users.
If an impersonating Service account is used for Revenue Inbox Sync users authorization, the Service account must have a mailbox and a license assigned to it. If the Service Account does not have a mailbox or license assigned, rooms and other resources will not be retrieved in RI Sidebar via EWS.
Setting up RI Sync for multiple users via Exchange/Office 365 Impersonated Access¶
1. Open MS Exchange or Office 365 Admin center. Refer to the following articles to learn how to do that:
2. Create an MS Exchange/Office 356 service account and assign it Impersonation permissions using the following step-by-step guides:
3. Set up an Organization containing all relevant user mail accounts:
3.2. Create an Organization in RI Admin panel [optional; for enterprise customers not fully provisioned by RevenueGrid.com CSM team]
3.3. Add all relevant user accounts to the created Organization [optional; for enterprise customers not fully provisioned by RevenueGrid.com CSM team]
4. Proceed to the instructions below to bulk-activate RI Sync for all relevant email accounts
Configuring RI Sync Access to User Mailboxes¶
To bulk-activate or renew RI Sync access for an Organization consisting of email accounts entitled to use Revenue Inbox:
4.1. Go to the Organizations tab and select the needed Organization, open the Email Configuration subtab
4.2. In the Mailbox Access Type drop-down list, select Microsoft Exchange Impersonation mailbox access type
4.3. In the Account Logon field, enter the Impersonating account’s name (email address)
4.4. In the Password field, enter the Impersonating account’s password
5. In the Exchange Web Services (EWS) URL field, enter the EWS URL used in your MS Exchange
6. Click Check Users Exchange Impersonated Access to make sure the procedure was successful, then Click Save
To check your Impersonation service account: open this Microsoft connectivity tests page and run the test Service Account Access (Developers)